The North Dakota State University men’s and women’s basketball teams are preparing to take on the University of Nebraska-Omaha tonight in Summit League action. The men’s and women’s team for the Mavericks lost their league opener this season to Western Illinois University.
The Mavs will be looking to bounce back in their games with NDSU. The Bison women will be traveling to Omaha while the men host the Mavs in their league home-opener.
Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks 10-6 (0-1) @ NDSU Bison 12-5 (1-1) 7 p.m. (790/KFGO)
· The Mavericks are not a team that feasted on a weak non-conference schedule. Just like NDSU, they went out and played teams and had some impressive road wins against Nevada and Northern Illinois. Don’t look for this team to be scared playing the pre-season favorite in NDSU on the road.
· This will be a classic match-up of offense vs. defense. NDSU comes in with the third best scoring defense in the league while Omaha is averaging 83.3 points per game, tops in the Summit. If NDSU can control tempo and not allow offensive rebounds, they should be okay.
· Omaha’s John Karhoff has averaged 22.7 points per game over his last three games. NDSU’s Marshall Bjorklund is shooting 69 percent from the field this season. This will be the offensive match-up to watch in tonight’s contest.
Prediction: NDSU 85 Omaha 79
NDSU Bison 3-13 (0-2) @ Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks 8-7 (0-1) 7 p.m. (740/FAN)
· The Bison in the midst of a 9-game losing streak that has included heart breaking and blowout losses alike. In order to snap this streak, they need to hit shots. NDSU hast taken the most shots in league play, 140 over two games, and is only shooting 37 percent from the field. I know it sounds simple, but that is NDSU’s biggest issue this season.
· Even though Omaha has played the least amount of games in the league, 15, you still can tell they are very solid defensively. They are only allowing their opponent to shoot 35.8 percent from the field. Look for them to not give NDSU many opening looks.
· Ericka House for the Mavericks is going to take a lot of threes in this game. She leads the league in threes taken and made so far this season. Look for the NDSU defense to make sure and know where she is at all times, specifically when she is roaming around the 3-point line.
Prediction: Omaha 69 NDSU 55
You can follow Daniel "Pinto" Gunderson on Twitter at @pintoKFGO or friend him on Facebook. You can hear him on his weekly podcast show on kfgo.com, 740thefan.com or on iTunes called “The Pinto and White Shadow Show.” Pinto is a radio producer within the Midwest Communications-Fargo company.