« NDSU Bison

Bison Bounce K-State 24-21

by Elliot Hoekstra

Manhattan, KS - The Bison began the 2013-2014 season and a march towards a third consecutive FCS National Championship with a road trip to Kansas to take on the Wildcats of Kansas State. 

Both teams got off to a slow start, but it was the Bison that shocked the crowd at Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium first with a huge punt return from Christian Dudzik. 

The Bison offense capitalized on the momentum when Brock Jensen found Ryan Smith in the endzone on a third and goal to take an early 7-0 lead.

The Wildcats offense responded with a strong drive, but the Bison defense didn't break, stone-walling Kansas State with a 4th Down stop.

But it wasn't long before Kansas State knotted things back up when Wildcats' quarterback Jake Waters found Tramaine Thompson for a touchdown tying the game at 7-7 in the 2nd quarter.

Just when it looked like the game was swinging towards K-State, Marcus Williams showed once again why he carries All-American honors picking off Waters at the Kansas State 29 yard-line. 

Adam Keller's field goal attempt hit the upright and the Heard went into the half tied with the Wildcats. 

Kansas State started with the football in the 2nd Half and struck quickly with a 44-yard strike to Tyler Lockett to take a 14-7 lead over the Heard.

The Wildcats didn’t slow down from there. Adding another score on the board when Daniel Sams got his first touch of the season taking it 17-yards for a 21-7 lead.

But the Bison weren’t backing down just yet. After a methodical drive down the field, Jensen connected with Kevin Vaadeland making it a one score game in the 3rd quarter.

On the following possession Adam Keller split the uprights with a 41-yard field goal to close the gap with a score of 21-17.

The Heard had hit full momentum, and had their sights on history. After driving the field for over eight minutes to the K-State 1 yard-line, Brock Jensen plowed the Bison into the endzone shocking the crowd for the second time in one evening taking a 24-21 lead with 28 seconds remaining.

Grant Olson sealed the win for NDSU with a interception locking the Bison in for a 1-0 record to start the 2013-2014 season.