« Ask a Trooper

Ask a Trooper talks about legality of farm equipment on the highways

by Bonnie Amistadi

“ASK A TROOPER” by Sgt. Jesse Grabow of the Minnesota State Patrol


Question: Lately I've been seeing a lot of large tractors and other mobile farming equipment being driven on highways and other well-traveled roads, and I'm curious is this legal? Is farming equipment licensed for road travel in the same way a passenger car or truck is?


Answer: Good topic and questions. As far as tractors and other mobile farming equipment being driven on the highways and other roads it is legal.  Traffic laws DO still apply (stop signs, right of way, etc.)  License and registration are not necessarily needed on this type of equipment.  But overall common sense and safety will always be required.  This is a good reminder for everyone to pay attention and to drive the speed limit.


If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota send your questions to Trp. Jesse Grabow – Minnesota State Patrol at 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501-2205.  (You can follow him on Twitter @MSPPIO_NW or reach him at,jesse.grabow@state.mn.us)