« Ask a Trooper

"Ask A Trooper" answers questions about farm plates and alcohol

by Bonnie Amistadi

Ask A Trooper by Sgt. Jesse Grabow of the Minnesota State Patrol

Question: I have a one ton pickup that I use on my farm. I was thinking of hooking up my fifth-wheel camper and head out to Arizona but a friend told me I would get a ticket for pulling my camper with a pickup that had farm plates on it. Is that correct?

Answer: Yes, that is correct. That would be a violation and you would receive a ticket for that. Being that it is an illegal use of farm plates/registration, you could also be subject to having the vehicle towed and put in impound until you put the proper registration on it.

Question: Winter is over (thankfully), but can a person have an open bottle of alcohol in a vehicle on a frozen lake or river?

Answer: According to Minnesota State Statute 169A.35 Subdivision. 2. Drinking and consumption; crime described. It is a crime for a person to drink or consume an alcoholic beverage, distilled spirit, or 3.2 percent malt liquor in a motor vehicle when the vehicle is upon a street or highway. So as I read it, yes you can. As we always say, if you plan on drinking, be responsible - plan ahead for a sober ride.

If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Trp. Jesse Grabow Minnesota State Patrol at 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501-2205. (You can follow him on Twitter @MSPPIO_NW or reach him at, jesse.grabow@state.mn.us).